Forum FFL-ASL
ASL pour les nuls … et les autres !

"L'Officier Sans Nom"-- Good Book for Small 1939-1940 Scenarios???

Hors ligne Pioupioudave14

• 7+1
    • +0/-0
Hello, all!  I hope you are all well, and enjoying the new ASL products out there (LFT #11, etc.)  ;-).  I was reading Liliane & Fred Funcken's Arms and Uniforms, The Second World War Part 1, and I noticed in the chapter on the French Army of 1939-1940:

"  (Page 42):  On the eastern front [meaning the French-German border-- Dave] the war had fallen into the hands of skirmishers, whose patrols attacked the enemy in one ghost village after another.  In spite of their brevity, these obscure engagements often reached unparalled levels of savagery.  The novelist Guy des Cars (1) has vividly described these little-known engagements, preliminaries to the great drama of 1940.

(1) In L'Officier Sans Nom. "

I have never read this book, and I don't believe it has been published in English.  Have any of you read this, and would any of the combat stories make for a good small scenario?  It seems like the 'Drole de Guerre' of 1939-1940 was not always a fake war, but a very nasty personal war.  Any opinions about this?

--Dave
"Pour ceux qui sont sur le point de mourir, nous vous saluons..."

Hors ligne X

• Rédac Chef du LFT
  • Franc-Tireur Staff
  • 1-4-9
    • +61/-1
  • Noli facere nautam cacare
    • Le Franc Tireur, le magazine des fanatiques d'ASL
Hi Dave,

As you wrote, Guy des Cars is a novelist and IMHO I don't think any ASL player could ever find some material for designing a scenario.

As far as this book is concerned though, I haven't read it though :)

Cheers!

X
Le Franc-Tireur:  http://www.lefranctireur.org